Westbank Corp. has now submitted their formal rezoning application for the site they own at 1668-1684 Alberni Street, at the corner of Bidwell Street. The site is currently home to two older midrise concrete condo buildings located just across Alberni from the former Chevron site, sold recently. The site also sits on the same block as a proposed 42-storey rental tower.
The current zoning for the 21,607 SF site is RM-5C thought the site is one of several that were redesignated under the West End Community Plan, this area known as the Denman Village. The proposal, designed by Bing Thom, is a 39-storey residential building including:
- a six-storey podium;
- 94 market residential units;
- 13 one-bedrooms, 25 two-bedrooms, 55 three-bedrooms & 1 four-bed;
- 5,500 SF floorplates;
- the top 18 floors will feature only two units per floor;
- a total density of 10.7 FSR;
- four levels of underground parking with 180 vehicle parking stalls and 120 bicycle parking spaces; and
- a building height of 385 ft.
The application describes Bing Thom’s design rationale:
“The primary design gesture is the “Weave”, which celebrates simplicity and rhythm. The unique double height fenestration provides a formal framework that contains the suites. This weave organically stretches out at the base to encompass the podium units. The framework also acts as a sunshade reducing cooling loads in the summer.”
After holding preliminary open houses late last year to unveil the First Baptist Church redevelopment to the public and the media, Westbank has now submitted their formal rezoning application for the Bing Thom designed project at 969 Burrard St. & 1019-1045 Nelson Street. The specific details of the project have now been finalized for rezoning application purposes.
Major details of the proposal includes:
- restoration of First Baptist Church;
- new church ancillary spaces, including a 37-space child daycare, a gymnasium, a counselling centre and offices;
- a new 8-storey building containing 66 social housing units, owned by the church;
- a new 56-storey tower containing 294 market strata residential units;
- a combined total new floor area of 559,925 SF.
- a total density of 10.79 FSR;
- 497 underground vehicle parking spaces.
This rezoning application is being considered under the Rezoning Policy for the West End and the West End Community Plan.
As the building sits at an elevation of 167 ft above sea level, it will appear as one of the tallest buildings on the Downtown skyline, only slightly shorter than Shangri-la and Trump Tower.
Further detail on the rezoning application can be found here: http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/planning/rezoning/applications/969burrard/index.htm