Landa Global has submitted their development application to the City of Vancouver for permission to develop a 17,292 SF site at the Southwest corner of Denman and Alberni Street with a new 21-storey mixed-use building.
The proposal for 1810 Alberni Street includes the following:
- 60 residential units
- 36 “high end” market residential units & 24 affordable market rental housing units;
- 3,906 SF of ground level retail;
- Building height of approximately 210 ft.;
- A total density of 7.54 FSR;
- 3 levels of underground parking with 109 parking spaces all accessed from the lane.
The architect for the project, Rafii Architects explains the design rationale: “The tower has been designed as an array of “boxes” oriented in different directions which interplay with each other and departs from the more common vertical box of concrete and glass. The project concept is based on a two-lobe floor plan which houses two condominiums per floor, joint only by the elevator core. The series of boxes affords views of the North Shore , Stanley Park and the Lions’ Gate Bridge, and the Downtown core. The careful placement of these “boxes” allows for planting which has been used at different levels adding a “green” feeling to the building.”
Under the site’s existing C5-A zoning, which was altered to allow such development under the West End Community Plan, the application is “conditional” so it may be permitted; however, it requires the decision of the Development Permit Board. The affordable market rental is a requirement of the zoning.
Landa acquired the site through Colliers in 2016 for $55,000,000, or $422 per buildable SF based on the total density in the application.
The full development application can be viewed here: http://development.vancouver.ca/1810alberni/index.htm
Westbank, in conjunction with Crombie REIT and Canada Safeway, have applied to redevelop one of the largest land parcels on Davie Street in the West End of Downtown Vancouver. The 47,464 SF site is currently home to a single-storey grocery store. The application proposes a redevelopment of the site with a mixed-use building consisting of:
- a 3 storey podium with three retail units on the lower & upper ground level;
- a retail grocery store on the upper ground & mezzanine level;
- two residential towers (21 & 22 storeys)
- a total of 319 market rental units;
- 3 levels common underground parking, accessed off Davie St and the rear lane;
- a total density of 6.43 FSR
Under the site’s existing C5-A zoning, the application is “conditional” so it may be permitted; however, it requires the decision of the Development Permit Board. The architect for the project is Henriquez Partners.
Larco Investments has applied to the City of Vancouver for permission to develop a site they own at Davie and Cardero with an additional new 23-storey building. The proposal for 1668 Davie St. includes the following:
- 158 secured market rental residential units;
- 105 studio and one-bedroom units, and 53 two & three bedroom units.
- Retention of the London Drugs
- Retail on the ground floor;
- Building height of approximately 210 ft;
- Total floor area of 123,895 SF; and
- 95 underground parking spaces accessed from the lane.
- Density of 6.1 FSR
The site is currently zoned C-5A and the application is being made under the existing zoning, which allows for planning to conditionally approve the proposal. The site also falls within the newer West End Community Plan, under the Lower Davie Village subarea, which allows up to 7.0 FSR.
The proposal calls for demolition of an existing parking garage next to the London Drugs.
The architect for the project is DA Architects & Planners.
1668 Davie Street is just one of several existing and pending applications that have resulted from the 2014 West End Community Plan, including 1177 Jervis Street, a project three blocks East on Davie that is being developed by Intracorp. Several other sites are in the process of being sold for future applications.
Reliance Properties has applied to the City of Vancouver for permission to develop the Northeast corner of Bidwell and Davie with a 22-storey secured market rental building with commercial retail units at grade. The site is 12,970 SF and is zoned C5-A, therefore it does not require rezoning but is a conditional approval that requires the decision of the Development Permit Board. The West End Community Plan includes design guidelines that facilitated this proposal, which includes:
- 108 residential units (all secured market rental);
- total gross floor area of 102,927 SF, including 5,000 SF of commercial retail;
- Total density of 7.4 FSR
- 77 underground parking spaces on 4 levels
- Replacement of 12 existing rental units and older commercial space
More information on the development application can be found here.