Onni is proposing a mixed-use development in the North Road area of Burnaby. The preliminary rezoning plan for the 3.47 acre site at 3355-3429 North Road calls for rezoning the site from CD and R2 to RM4s and C2 per the Lougheed Town Centre Plan guidelines. The proposed plan includes:
- two concrete residential towers
- an office tower at the corner of Cameron and North Road
- a total density of 3.6 FAR
- 1.3 FAR commercial density
- total residential density of 544,044 SF
The site is currently improved with a 2-storey strip mall built in the 1980’s, and a vacant lot.
The draft concept plan for Burnaby’s Lougheed Town Centre will be going to City Council for their endorsement. Over the past year, City staff have developed preliminary concepts for the redevelopment of the Lougheed Mall site, owned by Shape properties, as well as the surrounding area. This master planning process follows along the lines of the Brentwood Town Centre area planning that also included Shape’s Brentwood Mall property. The arrival of the Evergreen Line next year provided the impetus for a new high density transit-oriented development in this location.
The Lougheed Town Centre Core Area is defined as the 72 acres bordered by North Road to the east, Lougheed Highway to the South, Bartlett Court to the West and Cameron Street to the North.
The Plan is quite ambitious as it seeks to to create a vibrant new retail strip on Austin Road with 7-storey podiums; a new North-South grand promenade with 6-storey podiums and highrise residential towers; a revitalized North Road with higher densities; a new East-West connector called “Cross Creek”; transitional areas for both Cameron Street and Bartlett Court.
Relevant development and potential zoning details include:
- Overall residential density of 5.0 FAR for all development sites (excluding Cameron St. which is 3.6 FAR)
- Total eventual density of 12.2 Million SF
- Residential towers up to 60-storeys in height
- Potential for 6.0 FAR density for commercial space (or 14.9 Million SF)
- Five new major public open spaces including a 1.6 acre park
- CAC’s including cash contributions and replacement of Cameron Rec Centre and Cameron Library
- New internal road, bike path and pedestrian network
Overall Draft Concept Plan
Proposed Building Heights